7:15-7:20 Devos with Tammy
7:20-7:35 Games 1, 2, & 3
7:35-7:40 Highs & Low’s/Prayer Requests (each child takes a moment and shares his/her high point & low point from the past week) along with a prayer request (if needed). Group ends in prayer.
7:40-8:00 Games 4, 5, & 6
*I ordered some super fun prizes and cheap items for use in the games as well as for the winning team. I personally got an awesome Spam hat and earrings. :) (Yeah, I realize how warped this makes me)
- Spam Sculpture: each team will be given a plastic knife, 1 can of Spam, some toothpicks, and a paper plate. Teams will be given five minutes to create a sculpture from their Spam on the plate.
- Pass the Spam: Relay style, over/under. Teams will race passing the Spam down their team’s line and back using over/under. (This one was funny and a great way to get everyone warmed up to the idea of having to touch the Spam and play games with it for the next half hour.)
- Spam ‘n Flies: teams will compete in this relay by carrying a Spam on a fly swatter. Players must pick up the Spam, place it on their fly swatter and race to the end, switching after each player. No hands holding the Spam. If the Spam is dropped, the player must return to the start line and begin again. First team with all players to finish wins. (The Spam fly swatters were a big hit. I had to get those from Hormel)
- Unwrap the Spam: teams will all play this version of “Hot Potato” within their own teams. The wrapped Spam will be passed around the circle as the music plays. Each time it stops, the player holding the package will unwrap ONE LAYER of the wrapping. The player that unwraps the last layer revealing the Spam, will keep the Spam and the prize tucked inside of the Spam. (I purchased Spam wrapping paper for this game. It was awesome!) *The original plan was to use unpacked Spam and tuck a dollar bill inside-however, we decided to keep the Spam in the can and just use that as the prize.
- Stringy Spam: Spam “single” packs will be opened and placed on twine. Teams will compete to eat the Spam off of the string in the allotted amount of time. The team that eats the most without the Spam falling, will be the winner. OK, this one required a little bit of creativity so that we didn't break the singles. We used a coffee stirrer and put the string through it that way. We left the stirrer in the Spam so that it would still be able to be handled by the teams.
**You never know what you're going to get when you do this type of event. I've found that, generally speaking, older kids do better with this theme than the younger ones do. Its also depends on the actual kids you have that are present. Some of them are just not willing to play some of these type of games, and that's ok. Just be prepared. This theme is one that you can drag out and really hype up ahead of time. One of my personal faves.
Can you think of any other Spam games to add?