Courtney is culturally relevant with the issues she addresses and supports her points by the use of valid documentation. The number of other works she cites in this book are great and fully support her message.
According to Courtney, the five conversations you must have with your daughter are:
1) You are more than the sum of your parts. Teaching your daughter to view herself as God desires rather than through the lens of our society. Courtney stresses the importance of training daughters to spot the lies of society when it comes to size and the way media defines beauty.
2) Don't be in such a hurry to grow up. In these chapters she talks about how much earlier our girls are maturing than in times gone by. This creates challenges of its own and she thoroughly addresses these issues.
3) Sex is great and worth the wait. These chapters do an outstanding job teaching parents to counter the message that culture sends to our kids regarding sex. It's our responsibility to train our daughters to have a proper understanding of sex the way God designed it.
4) It's OK to dream about marriage. Courtney tackles the idea in these chapters that its ok for a girl to grow up dreaming of marriage and motherhood. Contrary to the women's movement that our girls hear so much about, is God's design for families. It's important that our daughters know and understand their place in that design.
5) Girls gone wild are a dime a dozen-dare to be virtuous. Virtuous girls are not the ones we hear about when we turn on the news or pick up a magazine. Training our daughters to know and understand that virtues are something to be prized is important. Using the traits defined in Proverbs 31, Courtney highlights some of the virtuous traits that are admirable in a girl.
Having pre-teen daughters, this book will be a go to for me often. The information is so very practical and challenges moms to proactively teacher their daughters to live differently. The five conversations that are highlighted are spot on. This book will challenge any mom to up her game in these five areas.